The Tides offers experiences unique to its location in a small, river town on the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail, near the Rappahannock River oyster farms and Virginia Oyster Trail. The resort is a place where one can revel in the simplicity of nature; it is a place to have fun while learning how to slice through the waters of the Chesapeake Bay on a sailboat, hit an overhead smash on the tennis court, or harvest and taste oysters with a local waterman.
Discover ongoing, experiential activities in sports, culinary arts and wellness with our friendly staff of experts. They’ve taught kids how to ride a bike, catch their first fish, and swing a golf club. Adults have learned to taste the difference between oysters from different parts of the bay, and entire families have been introduced to the thrilling sport of sailing.
A Tides getaway can include these experiences:
- Harvest Chesapeake oysters with a local waterman: The Tides Inn Oyster Academy.
- Taste Virginia wines along the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail
- Sail on the Rappahannock River from our marina, or learn the ropes at our on-site sailing school.
- Paddle board on the gentle waters of Carter’s Creek; yoga poses optional
- Kayak around the many branches of Carter’s Creek while viewing birdlife
- Fly fish the salty waters of the Chesapeake
- Golf on The Golden Eagle, a wooded course designed by George W. Cobb where the chances are good you’ll spot an eagle or two
During the Colonial Period, the Northern Neck was known as the Athens of America, birthplace of three presidents and Robert E. Lee. Experience what history has to teach us firsthand by exploring the local area:
See the Historical Virginia Itinerary