Virginia Oyster Academy
The Virginia Oyster Academy offers a Bay to Table experience through a morning excursion with an authentic working Virginia waterman and a culinary demonstration by an experienced gourmet seafood chef, the Tides Inn Executive Chef, TV Flynn. Learn about the native oyster’s past and present challenge for survival, the delicate ecosystem and aquaculture advancements in the Bay and its surrounding tributaries. Then discover culinary tricks to enhance your oyster eating experience. Academy Location: Tides Inn, Irvington, VA
9:00 am: Arrival and Coffee at the Tides Inn
9:15-10:00 am: Short lecture on the Virginia Oyster
- Aquaculture and Native Harvesting
- History of the Comeback Story of the Virginia Oyster
- Environmental benefits of the Oyster Industry
- Tools of the Trade
10:00 am-12:00 pm: Trip with a Working Virginia Waterman
- Reef Education
- Tonging demonstration
- Dredging demonstration
12:00 pm-1 :00 pm: Oyster Roast and culinary demonstrations by Tides Inn Chef staff
- Buying and Preparation of Oysters
- The Art of Shucking Oysters
- Oyster Sauces and Dishes.
- Wine pairings (2 types of wines)
*Minimum 6 people, weather permitting. Offered every Saturday in October and November.
For reservations or for more information, please call 804-438-4489.